13.10.09

(15 Years in Long Sleeves - #2) Not Looking Too Good, But Feeling Real Well

Life was good, it was 20 years since Sergeant Pepper had taught the band to play and I'd managed to keep my shit together and stay off the smack long enough to get accepted into The Academy of Performing Arts. Suddenly I was in a tertiary institution and for the first time in my life I was thinking of my future.

I was living as care-taker in Tom Collins House before Servetus Street took steroids and swallowed the houses on the southern side of the road. The house was amazing, strewn with cabinets full of Australian first editions and furniture built by Joseph Furphy with a surreal brass rubbing by his daughter Mattie over the fire place. My duties were few: hosting the monthly meetings of the Fellowship of Australian Writers, serving cups of tea in Wembley Ware, and just being awed at my fucken arsey luck. Somehow I had landed on my size elevens yet again.

But of course there was no way that I was going to be able to keep this up for too long as there was a new drug in town. A cheap, pure powder that when hit was like riding the fucken space shuttle. But such is life for the hero of these stories, our spunky young journeyman drug addict.

(To be continued?)



10 comments:

Dr Mad Fish said...

Well it's a 'long time between drinks' but a good read.

Growling Gecko said...

I am ex WAAPA too - spent 5 years at the Con. What were you doing there? Acting?

Spencer Collins said...

Thanks for your comments Michelle and RamSnake. I mainly just acted the goat at WAAPA and when I wasn't I studied Media Performance. Turned out to be the least creative course there, apart from all the writing and those fantastic choir lessons with the inimitable Richard Gill.

sarah toa said...

Hi Spencer! Just bought the boy a pair of size twelves yesterday. Ha!

Spencer Collins said...

Hey Sarah, where you bin?

sarah toa said...

I've just been apologising to awinedarksea all night. Been finishing a thesis, putting one word in front of twenty thousand others, deciding I've finished it, reading it, realising it's crap and rewriting the whole thing again. And then again.

Ano said...

A smattering of home truth's, a dash of brash and stir. Nice turn of the word my old mate. Got my skin itching. Life is grand and full of verve. You should visit one of these days...

Ano said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sarah toa said...

Okay, Spencer. Your time is up. Write something goddammit! Just write it. I know you've got a yarn or two in those shoes ...

BTW, Just bought the boy a pair of size 13's. Yes, life goes on, and the next gen are the master race, poor buggers.

It was a moment in the shoe shop, I was refusing to hand over the cash.

"He's not size 13, really, shop assistant, he's not."
"Mum, I need some shoes to wear."
"I don't care. I'm not buying you size 13 shoes. The fairy tale is over okay?"
"Mum ...."

Ano said...

I have to agree with Sarah here sport. Git in there and muck it up with a few nouns, adverbs and prose. You write good!

Hope all is well in the great south. The jungle is alive and I think they know we are here....