16.5.09

Firefox Ad Blocker

If you're using Internet Explorer instead of Firefox you really should think about changing to Firefox. It is easy to use, fast, is not a Microsoft product and has a multitude of add-ons and features to help make your browsing experience so much more pleasurable.

I run an Australian English spellchecker add-on, the first of it's type that I have seen. It's great, and not just because it recognises "colour" and "centre" as being spelled correctly, it's the alternative spellings offered that I really love. It didn't recognise "Fisherwoman", so offered up as alternatives "Fisherman" and the gloriously wicked "Washerwoman".

My latest add-on, and by far the best is Adblock Plus. This fantastic application blocks all adverts on all web pages. No more slow page loads due to the graphics intensive advertising that is everywhere these days. I've only had it installed for four days so I haven't really given it a workout yet, but the sites I regularly visit have been ad free. It's easy to install and easy to configure and has performed admirably. I would have to rank it as one of my best discoveries in a long time, almost on a par with the Navbar Remover I posted last week.

No ads on Facebook, Hotmail, news sites, IMDB, Blogger and a multitude of others. That's right, No Fucken Ads!!!

You can get it from here: Adblock Plus

2 comments:

ramsnake said...

My favourite security wise and the most important to my mind is NoScript that pre-emptively blocks malicious scripts and allows JavaScript, Java and other potentially dangerous content only from sites you trust.
And Web Development, Firebug and FiteFTP are indispensable if you are into building websites.

Spencer Collins said...

Thanks Robin, I will have a look at these.